- 1-2 pounds of meat, cut into 2” cubes (venison, elk or beef)
- ½ cup flour
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup oil
- 4 cups of water
- 2 onions, chopped
- ½ cup cream
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 2” cubes
- 2 cups carrots, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup corn (fresh or canned)
- 1 cup green beans (fresh if in season)
- (You can also add peas or other vegetables you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons beef bullion
- Optional: ¼ cup of uncooked barley
Place flour and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix. Add meat chunks and coat evenly. In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over low heat until the onion is transparent. Place the coated meat in the large pot. Brown the meat, turning with a wooden spoon until all sides are browned. Add a little more oil if needed. If there is excess oil when the meat is browned, drain it off.
Add the water and stir. Add all other ingredients except cream and cook over medium low heat until all ingredients are tender. (Approximately one to two hours.) Stir frequently. Remove the bay leaves and stir in the cream just before serving.
Serves 4 – 6 people, or 3 of Emma’s boys.